Caroline Chisholm School has a trained Career Development teacher on staff who tailors services to student need and interests. The broad range of services and programs available include:
- Individual Futures interviews
- Work Experience
- College For a Day
- Flexible Learning Options courses offered by the Department of Education and Training (such as Hairdressing, IT, building safety, Community Services)
- Registered training courses with the Master Builders' Association, Commonwealth Motors
- Excursions related to Careers, eg Careers Xpo
- Careers Days Out (including Health, Animal careers)
- College course advice
- Tax File Numbers
- Job application assistance
- Australian School-Based Apprenticeship (ASBA)
- Access 10 - alternate Year 10 course for students at risk
Students in all years are also assisted in their planning for the future in classroom based Pathway Planning lessons twice per term. Topics covered include goal setting, job application skills and research into various occupations and courses.
Work Experience is highly encouraged, as it builds students' workplace skills and fosters reflection on appropriate further education and employment options while students are still at school to make the most of their education. Most students make multiple work experience placements before completing Year 10. Placements are made based on student interest, host availability and are timed to compliment other student commitments. Placements assist students in building their resume and occasionally lead to casual employment.
Australian School-based Apprenticeships
An Australian School-Based Apprenticeship (ASBA) gives students over 15 years of age the option of starting an Australian Apprenticeship part time while they are still at school. Students earn an apprenticeship wage as they work toward a nationally recognised qualification in addition to their Year 10 Certificate.
Young people are required by law to remain in education training or employment until 17 years of age. Anyone seeking to leave the Caroline Chisholm School before completing Year 10 is advised to seek assistance from the Careers teacher and the Deputy well in advance.
Further details on all services may be obtained from the school's Career Development teacher.